This week has been busy both in and out of the studio. Artist Julie Ryder and I spoke at Belconnen Art Centre about my work to a group of artists.I also met up with a group of artists I met at a Ruth Hadlow workshop.
On the previous week end I began some new work towards an exhibition for 2017. I had drawn this up and had it up on the wall of my studio for some weeks. I made some samples which were a little disappointing. They were experimental. I had a go and strait machine embroidery rather than working on soluble fabric - i.e. making lace. I work on one of the images that is the header for this blog - reflected water. The colours were a little bright. so I chose another image and this was little too dark. I then swapped to making it in lace. This seemed toward well except the threads kept breaking as they generally do using this technique.
I bit the bullet and began the large piece in the way that I generally work - on soluble fabric. It seemed to really work well except that my sewing machine was getting cranky and threads continually broke. So much so that I got my old machine out. It worked a treat for a while, then it started to play up. Anyway it was better than continually breaking threads. Plus I got through a larger area of making lace.